Any product designers fond of the Mac OS X platform will appreciate how monumental this is. In their Manufacturing 2010 Products Webinar [you can access the full webinar here], Autodesk has announced that they will be bringing the AliasStudio line of surface modeling tools to the Mac platform. Core77 transcribes the announcement as follows:
According to product line manager Thomas Heermann, they’ve been building a Mac version for about a year and a half “when [Apple] started shipping really good hardware”, and expect to ship it along with the new Windows version in early April.
Now that Apple is running Mac hardware on the X86 architecture we’re seeing more developers port their previously unavailable software packages to the Mac platform. McNeel has been beta testing a Mac version of Rhino (my personal surface modeler of choice at the moment) for a while now, but it’s not ready for a full release yet. It will be interesting to see if the Mac version of AliasStudio really matches up to the concurrently released Windows version. There are a number of other 3D modeling packages available on the Mac platform already, and Core77 gives a decent summary of options on their site. As a product designer that prefers an OS X work flow, I’m excited to see so many industry standard software packages making their way to the platform.
Via: Core 77 + Autodesk
The Low line of seating by Rene Barba really appeals to me. there’s something about the proportions and play between shapes that I really enjoy. Beautiful.
Via: Chair Blog
If you’re into industrial design, and specifically car design, you need to check out Rob Jensen’s website at http://robjensendesign.com/. Rob is a car designer at Ford, and was lead-designer for the 2010 GT500 Mustang. On the more visual side, he shares a page full of car sketches and renderings that should inspire anyone who enjoys putting ink down on paper.
If you’re on Twitter, you can also follow Rob at @robjensendesign.
The past few days I’ve been getting some random hits on my design portfolio from Mobile Safari, the browser on the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch. Unfortunately, the content of my portfolio is displayed through a flash slideshow, which doesn’t work at all in Mobile Safari, so visitors would just be getting a blank white page.
The last couple nights I threw together an iPhone/Touch optimized version of my portfolio. It will automatically load if you go to design.ocell.net on an iPhone or iPod Touch. There are some tweaks I’m going to keep making, but I’m pretty happy with it so far. At least I have a mobile copy of my portfolio with me at all times now and I don’t have to worry about syncing changes manually.
If you’re using Firefox or Safari, you can manually invoke the interface on your desktop by going to http://design.ocell.net/iphone/, and you’ll at least get a rough idea of how it works.
This is all thanks to SlideshowPro Director and iShowPro.
On December 17th (two days from when I’m writing this) I’ll be walking across the stage at North Carolina State University to recieve my undergraduate degree in Industrial Design. That’s sort of relevant to this post, but I also just like how the words look when I type it out.
While searching for the best way to get my career started I want to make sure that my portfolio website is going to communicate my work in an interesting but unobtrusive way. I’ve always felt that a good portfolio website should have very little that gets in the way of the actual work, but of course it still needs to be fun and easy to use. I’ve been using SlideshowPro for Flash along with Director to handle the back-end of uploading, resizing, organizing, and displaying my portfolio images and videos. The combination has been great.
I found a great example of how to use external elements in the flash document to load the gallery thumbnails into a filmstrip navigation bar. If you own SlideshowPro, you can find it on the downloads page. I spent some time with the action script and adapted it to fit my site. I think the result is a much cleaner and intuitive interface. I have a couple more bugs I’m trying to hunt down in the actionscript, and I am going to make the type more consistant, but I think it’s a decent start.